‘Pets And Poisons’ Leaflet Focuses On Holiday Safety

VMA releases “Pets and Poisons” to raise awareness of hazard garden substance.

In light of the upcoming holidays, the British Veterinary Association Animal Welfare Foundation has re-launched its “Pets and Poisons” leaflet to warn pet owners about common household and garden substances that may be dangerous to pets. Such hazards include raisins, chocolate, liquorice, antifreeze and electrical cables, among others.

“Our message to pet owners is don’t ruin your Christmas through carelessness,” said Bill Reilly, president of the BVA. “The loss or illness of a family pet is devastating but poisoning in the home can be easily avoided.

“Some substances may make your animal drool or vomit so they should always have access to clean drinking water. If there is any doubt or concern, owners should contact their vets for advice immediately.”

Substances that can be poisonous to pets, as outlined by the BVA, include:

  • Chocolate and liquorice (common Christmas gifts)
  • Raisins and sultans (used in Christmas cake recipes)
  • Certain nuts
  • Xylitol-sweetened foods
  • Sweets
  • Other foods such as onions, avocados and grapes
  • Plants such as lilies and daffodils
  • Cleaning and do-it-yourself products
  • Car anti-freeze
  • Human medicines

Substances with low toxicity that could cause drooling, vomiting or diarrhea include:

  • Blu-Tack or other similar adhesives (used to put up decorations)
  • Charcoal and coal
  • Cut-flower and houseplant food
  • Expended polystyrene foam (used for large present packing such as in stereos and televisions)
  • Holly and mistletoe (common Christmas plants/decorations)
  • Matches
  • Wax candles and crayons
  • Silica gel (found in packaging)

Click here to download the leaflet or email bva-awf@bva.co.uk for hard copies.



Leave a Comment